Search This Blog

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Wines and Jams

McCluskiegunj was once famous for it's fruits such as mangos and guavas. The old folks would make jams, jellies and wines from the fruit they grew or bought from the markets.
Mrs. Thipthorpe, an old settler who expired in the early 90's was famous for her wines. People would come down here from distant places like Delhi and other cities just to order for wine. Mrs. Thipthorpe earned a living by selling her jams and wines after her husband passed away. She is still remembered by many people for the delicious stuff she made.
Now there isn't anybody to take her place in the field of cooking or wine making here.
Though people still try their hand at making wine but not at a commercial basis. I have tried my hand at jams and wines too. I encourage people that make the local drink called Mahua, to make wines instead.
I hope that one day McCluskiegunj will regain its customers for wines.
I attempted making wine from the stinky flowers called "Mahua" two years ago. It turned out good. No odor.

--------------------------
Malcolm Hourigan
McCluskiegunj, Ranchi - Jharkhand
India
ph: +91 8969290128

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for showing your interest in McCluskiegunj. Leave your querries, and I shall try to satisfy them at my earliest.